Create Your Dream Job: Download The 9 Step Action Plan
In Today’s Episode We Talk About:
- A 9 step plan to create your dream job.
- The similarities between the 9 to 5 hamster wheel and prison – and they key to escaping both of them.
- The inspiration and lessons to be learned from the story of Andy Dufresne, and how to apply them to your escape to freedom plan.
- The worst mistake you could make when trying to launch the brand of you, and how to do it right.
- Why buying an Olympic gold medal on eBay doesn’t make you a champion (and what does).
- Some of the things that amateurs do that break the trust and prevent people from following them – and how you should avoid them!
It’s Time To Escape The 9-5 Prison
I got a phone call last week. It was my old boss, wanting to know if I can do some consulting work for him.
As we finished talking (for the first time since I left corporate world) and I hung up, memories starting rushing through my brain.
I could see myself sitting in the company’s brand new light-blue Hyundai, playing with the radio, trying to find my favorite sports show to make my long way home more interesting.
It was only a 25 kilometers drive, but sometimes it took almost two hours to get back home.
I remember feeling trapped – by going corporate I’ve ditched my business, and now I was on the hamster wheel, building somebody else’s business instead. It hit me, that I replaced running in circles for my own good, with running in circles for someone else’s own good — with no prospect of it changing.
The Good Old Hamster Wheel
Life has become more and more about the job.
I found myself working 350 hours a month – sometimes 400. I was busy all the time. When I wasn’t at work, I was on the phone with work, or talking about work with Julie. I felt imprisoned.
Almost two years have passed this way – without me noticing, or doing anything about it.
Looking back, I know now that I fell in the most common loop the western world has to offer: I got busy dying.
This video is from one of my favorite movies, The Shawshank Redemption. The film tells the story of Andy Dufresne, a banker who spends 19 years in Shawshank State Prison for the murder of his wife and her lover despite his claims of innocence. While everyone around Andy loses hope for achieving anything with their lives – within or beyond prison – Andy has different plans.
In the movie, Andy holds in his mind a painted picture of breaking free and building a cheap motel on a Mexican beach in front of the Pacific Ocean.
Through many hardships, beatings and pain, the movie ends with Andy making it alongside a fellow inmate named “Red” (played by Morgan Freeman), to Zihuatanejo, Mexico (you’ll have to watch the movie for the full story of how he did it).
As it turns out, I’m not the only one who’s been inspired by the The Shawshank Redemption. In fact, today’s guest wrote his book, From Day Job To Dream Job in the same cell where Andy Dufresne, played by Tim Robbins, spent his days of confinement.
Author, life coach, and speaker Kary Oberbrunner is on a mission to help people escape their own ‘Shawshanks‘ and launch their dream jobs.
Kary recently wrote the Dream Job To Day Job, a book targeted at helping readers “jailbreak” from their day jobs without relying on an MBA, investors, or a lucky break. Instead, he offers his tried-and-tested 9 step plan.
Much of the book was written inside Shawshank Prison (The Ohio State Reformatory). Kary sat inside the same prison cell where Andy Dufresne served solitary confinement as punishment for playing his famous anthem of freedom, and for Kary – this book has the same goal: Playing the anthem of freedom for millions of people that feel burned out in their day jobs.
The Disturbing Facts (Or: How The 9-5 Is Killing Millions)
Here are some very disturbing facts about what the 9 to 5 is causing1 in America today:
- The Los Angeles Times reports that there is a 33 percent increase in heart attacks on Monday mornings.
- According to the NCDC, more people die at nine o’clock Monday morning than at any other time of day or any other day of the week.
- Male suicides are highest on Sunday nights. This is assumed to be because of them realizing that their careers — and possibly their finances as well — are not where they want them to be.
According to Kary, millions of people are squandering their talents and wasting their time in jobs they don’t love. If you feel that you are one of them, tune in to today’s episode, and then download our free PDF: Kary’s 9 Step Action Plan To Creating Your Dream Job!
For more from Kary, check out his Dream Job Bootcamp:
Resources For Creating Your Escape To Freedom Plan
- Free download: Kary’s 9 Step Action Plan To Creating Your Dream Job!.
- Kary’s website
- Kary Oberbrunner on Twitter @karyoberbrunner, YouTube, Facebook, LinkedIn
- His book: Day Job To Dream Job
- Shawshank Redemption on IMDB, Wikipedia
- Podcast interview with Natalie Sisson: “How To Create Your Escape To Freedom Plan, Today!”
- Air-O-Swiss AOS 7146 Travel Ultrasonic Humidifier (for those suffering from stuffy nose like yours truly! )
Download Today’s Free PDF
Click here to download Kary’s 9 Step Action Plan and start creating your dream job, today!
I Need Your Help!
If you haven’t already, I would love if you could be awesome and take a minute to leave a quick rating and review of the podcast on iTunes by clicking on the link below. It’s the most amazing way to help the show grow and reach more people!
Affiliate Disclosure: Please note that some of the links above are affiliate links. There is no additional cost to you, and I will earn a commission if you decide to make a purchase.
- Research from 48 Days to the Work You Love by Dan Miller. ↩